Wednesday, August 18, 2010

1984 vanagon oil pressure problem?

I have a 1984 vanagon 1.9 engine, water cooled and after having the valves and lifters worked on my oil pressure light starts coming on when I slow down on the freeway. Do I need to have the engine rebuilt or is there another solution. Running 20/50 oil al ready.





I have been restoring the van and have spent about 5000 already and wondered if you would sell the van or have the work done.1984 vanagon oil pressure problem?
Are you sure it's not just the sensors? These vans have finicky sensors. I think yours may be different than the sensors on my 1991 2.1L waterboxer, but check the connections.





I had an intermittent oil light problem that I was able to track to a bad wire running to the sensor. (The wire had fallen onto the hot exhaust pipe and burned nearly through)





A quick patch job to the wire, and all was good.





If the problem you are experiencing is happening under regular, predictable conditions, you may have a larger problem.
  • facial
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment