Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What's the problem with my car if it has a burning smell like oil or rubber burning?

It just started this morning, I have a '98 Ford Taurus, hoping whatever this problem is it won't cost alot to fix. I'm worried if I can drive my car home or should I take it to a garage right away.What's the problem with my car if it has a burning smell like oil or rubber burning?
Check to see if anything is against the exhaust or hot engine.There can also be oil leaking onto the engine.When it gets hot,there's your smell.This odor enters the car through the fresh air intake which is at the bottom of the windshield.All the smells under the hood will also be put into the passenger compartment through this.If there's a big enough leak ,you'll see marks under the engine where they have been dripping.What's the problem with my car if it has a burning smell like oil or rubber burning?
My car did the same thing, so I took it to the dealership, and come to find out there was a plastic bag melted to my exhaust pipes. But, in your case I would check and make sure that you don't have an oil leak. You can put a piece of cardboard under the car and then check back later and see if there is anything leaking onto the cardboard. If there is, I would take it to the shop for an inspection.
I'd say you have a gasket problem.
Did you recently add any oil to the engine? I always manage to get some oil on the engine when I add oil. It smells like oil for a while, but it goes away. If you do drive the car to the garage or home, be sure it's got oil in it.
Did you put oil in the car yesterday? If so, did some spill on the engine? If so, it will ';burn off'; (not really ';burn';, but evaporate) in a few days if you run the car, and it will cost nothing to fix. The other suggestions, leaks and frozen belts, are also possible. Check under the car where you normally park it, and see if there is a spot where oil is dripping on the ground. Check the oil level in the engine. If it is seriously low, a trip to the shop might be in order. Good luck!
Look under the hood. Burning oil smell could be from oil burning off the block. Look for leaks. Secondly, its possible that your A/C compressor, or alternator has locked up and the belt is burning off giving you the burning rubber smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment