Friday, July 30, 2010

My motor is ticking,and my oil pressure gage is reading low. i have plenty of oil. what could my problem be?

plenty of oil, started ticking a few days ago, just noticed the oil pressure was about half of what it should be two days ago. just my guess it's eather oil pump or pressure sending unit. are there any more possibilities?My motor is ticking,and my oil pressure gage is reading low. i have plenty of oil. what could my problem be?
Oil pump


clogged oil filter


badly contaminated oil


worn bearings.


clogged oil passages





Incorrect reading at gauge. Bad sender or gauge.My motor is ticking,and my oil pressure gage is reading low. i have plenty of oil. what could my problem be?
The ticking may be a sticky lifter. How long since you changed your oil last? If the oil sending unit is done, it usually shows signs of leaking around the edges of the sender. I would advise you not to let this go. If your oil pump is failing, you will likely seize your engine if you don't repair it right away. I suggest getting a manual oil pressure gauge hooked up to the engine and checking the reading. This type of gauge takes its reading directly from the oil gallery and is an accurate indication of whether your pump is working properly or the sender is faulty. Again, don't let this slide. It would be very expensive if the pump is failing or has failed. A sender or an oil pump is much cheaper tthan a new engine!
Drop the oil pan and clean out sludge from the oil pump pickup. I bet it's clogged with sludge.
before you start guessing. Get a manual pressure guage and check to see exactly what the oil pressure IS.
main bearings

No comments:

Post a Comment