Friday, July 30, 2010

Has anyone else had an oil consumption problem with Ford 5.4 Triton engine?

I have a 2002 Ford Super duty with 26,000 miles on it and it will use well over a quart of oil in 1000 miles. It doesn't leak and occasionaly on cold starts it blows a large amount of smoke out the tail pipe. I have had it to two different Ford dealers and they tell me it is normal. I have had other dealers tell me they won't work on it because I didn't buy it from them. It has done this since I bought it with 8000 miles on it.Has anyone else had an oil consumption problem with Ford 5.4 Triton engine?
it probably didn't get broke in right, call the manufacture Representative :(Has anyone else had an oil consumption problem with Ford 5.4 Triton engine?
I have an F150 with a 5.4L Triton, with 19K miles and its doing the same thing. I' like you are getting the same runaround from the dealer about it being normal. A vehicle that drinks a quart of oil in a 1000 miles cannot be normal. Report Abuse

If it smokes a lot on start up, change your valve seals, though it takes many hours to do it.
I have owned and worked on 3 modular motor (4.6L/5.4L)ford vehicles (98,99 GT, 00 expedition) and have been racing, working one building cars for roughly 14 years.


It is an unforunate fact that the modular engines do use oil, ford has admitted it in press releases that some oil consumptino is, in fact, normal.


The reason: the piston rings are not sealing as well as previous engines because of lower piston ring tension.


Now this is NOT a bad thing, it means although you have a little usage, that they will wear much more slowly, that is why the modular motors are easily good for 200K miles and above with good maintance.


I use 5w-30 mobil one in all my vehicles, including my 98 mustang GT (4.6L) from 65K to 125K miles. The 4.6L is the same engine as a 5.4L except it has a shorter stroke, same heads, cams, ect. I tore down the motor at 125K miles (due to accident with a drunk driver) and the internals were absolutly beautiful, the cam journals perfect. I am also an a member of 10 different ford/mustang forums with many other people using 5w-30 and even 10w-30 and I have NEVER heard of the claims the ford tech spoke of. To put it in perspective the modular motors have been used in ford vehicles since 1991.





Personally my motors use a quart every 1500-2000 miles, but i'm sorry i can't clain that your 1 per 1000 will stop by moving up in grade because i never use 5w-20 in them.





Make the switch and let us know if it slows down the consumption. If it does not, I suggest pulling the plugs (to look for oil) and doing a compression test, if that tells you nothing, a leak-down test may be in order.
If you put any other viscosity oil in this overhead cam engine,you may damage the camshaft journals which requires replacement of the heads and cams. The 5w-20w (water as one answer suggested) was designed to reach the cams sooner to prevent failure of the cam journals. The correct amount of oil needed for an oil change in your 5.4l is 6 qts.. If you top the oil level off to reach the top of the full range of xxxx's it may use the excess oil and cause your concern. Change your oil with six qts only and see where it shows up on the dipstick. It should be in the middle of the xxxx's. Check for oil consumption from there. This may resolve your concern. Have you changed the air filter lately? Hope this helps.
I forgot what Ford calls excessive but you are approaching the limit if I remember it (I think it's 1 qt every 800 or 1,000 miles).





But as someone suggested, a call to Ford may be an idea to run with and see what kind of help they are willing to say . But most of the modulars are at most 1 qt every 3,000 miles.





The 5w20 was meant for fuel economy and to get to the top of the head faster (Actually their are bulletins on some of the motors about concerns happening with other grades of oil.. mainly 3 valves)





The engines were designed for 5w30 and I've seen 10w30 in them (even 50 weight on a guy trying to get oil pressure) but main thing on the engine is frequency of oil change.. It don't like it over about 5,000 miles.
I think it the water,oops I mean oil, 5w20 that Ford recommends,that is awful light oil in my opinion,maybe try 10w40,what do you have to lose?
Probably leaking valve seals. The smoke on start-up is because it leaked down into the cylinders while sitting over a period of time. Have a friend follow you and see if it throws out a puff of smoke when you accelerate after sitting for a minute or two at a stoplight and then stops smoking as you continue at a steady speed. That would pretty much confirm oil seals.
this may sound wierd but i have talked to people with this problem and they have lowered there consumption using shell oil in the engine

No comments:

Post a Comment