Friday, July 30, 2010

AMS Oil Full Synthetic - Anyone have problems using it in their 1st year ?

I changed to AMS Oil 5W-30 full synthetic LAST July in my Neon and this is the 1st time i'm using it (plus the matching EAo filter)





Together they're supposed to last 15,000 miles or 1 year.


I'm hoping it's not possible for the stuff to fail, and the engine would seize up.


It's such a weird feeling driving for so long having not changed it.


But AMS Oil stands by their guarentee so, we'll see !





However I think ? I am seeing sluggish performance and poorer gas mileage in this car and I'm reallly really hoping it is NOT the oil affecting the engine. It's not supposed to anyway !AMS Oil Full Synthetic - Anyone have problems using it in their 1st year ?
I highly doubt the oil is affecting your fuel mileage. Amsoil makes the best synthetic oils hands down. I have used Amsoil for several years, in several different vehicles. Each one I also purchased oil test kits and its true, I got well over then 15k out of the oil on several occasions. On my 2500HD Diesel I went 30k miles on 3 filters and the same oil before I sold the truck....and the oil was still in excellent condition when I sold it. I would highly recomend this oil and I have no doubts in my mind you will be just has happy as I have been over the past few years!AMS Oil Full Synthetic - Anyone have problems using it in their 1st year ?
well it really depends on the age of the car.....a synthetic by nature is a thinner oil.....if your neon had a lot of miles on it the synthetic maybe seeping thru the rings under load.....the performance thing probably is not the oil however...it could be a dirty air filter or any number of things.....how many miles are on it...when was the last tune up......don't believe the rhetoric about 100,000 mile spark plugs,,,,they will not last that long.......you should still have them changed every 30,000.....also if you haven't changed the oil filter since july you really should.....the general rule for synthetic is oil every 15,000 and filter and top off every 5,000......thi not only keeps the oil cleaner...it also makes you pop the hood and look things over and check belts, fluids, air filter and other maintenance issues that can affect your vehicle.......even though you think you are saving money with the amsoil and 15,000 mile oil changes....you can actually be hurting your pocketbook by letting other maintenance go un-noticed to become a potentially expensive repair!!!!!!
Two possibilities when changing to a synthetic oil in an older engine.


1. All the sludge and gunk gets put in suspension and can clog the oil filter then when the filter bypass opens it clogs oil passages. This is bad because it can damage the bearings. In a Neon the first to go are the rod bearings.


2. Seals leak when the gunk is dissolved. Depending on the year of the Neon and the engine (DOHC or SOHC) oil gets ingested and the plugs get fouled.





Advice: Change the filter immediately. Check the plugs for oil. I'd put engine cleaner through it and replace the oil filter and replace the oil with a synthetic blend for 3000 miles. Then I'd put the AMS and the matching filter in.





If a previous owner used PTFE then there could be a LOT of gunk in the engine. PTFE coats the non-moving parts pretty well. A good synthetic with an aggressive additive package will clean it right off and put it into suspension where it will plug up your oil filter. PTFE is nasty stuff!
If you are driving a high mileage car, then you should run an engine cleaner through the oil before switching to ams oil. I've been using full synthetics,(ams oil included) for 20yrs, no problems with any of my vehicles. Average of 200,000 miles on any of my Fords, and some with 300,000. And yea, I change the oil at approx 15,000. Always a top grade of filter like K%26amp;N.
I put Amsoil in my 1 ton diesel and I found it to be unacceptable as an engine oil. The engine was noisy and I had to add oil twice before I had gone 6000 miles on it. I came to the conclusion that it has long change intervals because you are always adding. I switched back to my trusted Shell oil. I have since read reports from somewhere that amsoil only surpasses other oils when they do the tests. It is expensive and when you need a can of oil to top up and you are in the middle of nowhere and you can't get it, it is completely useless.
I use and sell Amsoil and have had no problems. It was very hard for me mentally at first to change from the old 3,000 mile or 3 month ritual. The longest I could go at first was 6 months and now that I'm comfortable I go a year (only about 10,000 miles for me).





If you suspect the oil is causing decreased performance, look into oil analysis. This is around $26.00, postage included and you'll need a suction pump to draw a sample with. Or you could just change your Amsoil early and see if the performance improves. My guess is there is something else going on with your car; fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, etc.


In any case, check and top-off the oil as necessary. Good luck with it.
bad idea to run any type of oil in an engine for that many miles. oil is the 'blood of the engine'. oil breaks down, gets contaminated, and acidic. it is wiser to use a cheaper oil and change it more frequently. car manafacturers will not honor their warranty under these conditions either.

No comments:

Post a Comment